- Etna Jeep Tour
- Cable Car tickets
- VAT and insurance
- Vehicles with NCC license
- Breakfast and Picnic lunch
- Alpine volcanologist guide - English
- Free cancellation 1 weeK before the visit
- Pick-up/Drop-off between Catania and Taormina
Hike on the volcanic sand in the Valle del Bove
Visit Mount Etna wide Caldera - Valle del Bove
Among all the excursions you may choose on Etna, Valle del Bove is a treasure of rare beauty and geological significance, proof of a radical change in the volcanic mechanisms of Etna.
This trail on Etna, about 10 km long, opens its scenery over the wide depression named "Valle del Bove", a huge area bounded by steep walls with a roughly horseshoe shape, open on the eastern flank of the Etna massif. The Caldera, the scientific name, is 5 km wide and 7 km long and with its extension covers almost the entire eastern side of the volcano. Its walls goes up to 1000 meters high.
Etna Tour highlights
- Trekking experience on Etna that has very few equals
- First part by cable car, then an easy trek up to the hot crater of 2001 at over 2700 meters altitude
- A fun 900 meters downhill on volcanic ash and a trek over the enormous lava flow of 1991-93
- Caving experience equipped with helmets and flashlights
- Guided tour in English, with an official alpine volcanologist guide and mountain leader
- Medium-level excursion in an active volcanic environment, with small groups of max 12 participants
Hiking Etna - Valle del Bove
Pick-up will be in 4x4 jeep at your hotel or at 07:45 at our meeting point in Viagrande. Before starting our adventure, we will have the pleasure to offer you an all-you-can-eat breakfast (coffee / cappuccino, fruit juice and pastries or granita and brioche).
During the day is also planned the visit of a lava stone quarry, during which you will learn how lava stones are been used for centuries and the basics meaning of stratovolcano.
Driving towards the cable car station, the lunar landscape in front of your eyes will be astonishing: the road built over the 1983 lava flows, the destructive passage of the lava flow with its many example left aside, the destroyed houses and encircled woods areas will blow you away.
Once reached the Rifugio Sapienza located in the South side of Mount Etna, the trip starts by taking the cable car up to 2500 meters altitude. Your Etna excursion begin here with an easy walk, reaching the hot crater of the 2001 eruption at over 2700 mt altitude.
After the visit of Etna's crater, the excursion goes on with a fun downhill trek (900 meters drop) on volcanic ash soil, allowing the access to the ancient caldera Valle del Bove. We will then get across the huge lava flow of 1991-93’s eruption, just into the Valle del Bove. The Etna tour will end with the visit of a lava tube, with caving equipment such as helmets and torches.
Lunch on Mount Etna
If you have not been able to prearrange a packed lunch, along the way we will make a stop in order to let you choose some of the traditional Sicilian products; you will be followed by our guide, who will advise you on the various local specialities.
Tasting of honeys, wines and liqueurs in Zafferana Etnea
If time allows it, the excursion will end with a free tasting of Etna's finest products, including honey, wine, liqueurs and much more at a local producer in Zafferana Etnea. This little village of producers of honey sits along the Etna Wine Route, and it contributes to the production of Italy’s honey for the 30%.
In winter all excursions may vary on timetable and schedule following the weather and snow covers conditions.
Tour Etna - Caldera Crosswalk Statistics
Trip to Etna that starts early in the morning with a small group; Etna guided tours, with experienced qualified volcanologist guide, for a full day immersion on Mount Etna wonders.
Etna Valle del Bove Trail
- Distance : approximately 10 km - 6,2 mi
- Ascent : 200 m
- Descent : 1300 m
- Time : about 5 hours
- Difficulty : Moderate
Lava flow channel
- Length : 20 m
- Visit time : about 15 minute
- Difficulty : easy
Essential Gear and Clothing
- Hiking boots
- Waterproof jacket (with hood) - all cars will be equipped of light raincoats jackets
- Waterproof over trousers
- Trekking poles - all cars will be equipped
- General trekking trousers
- Caving helmet - all cars will be equipped
- Gloves or mitts
- Spare layer e.g. fleece top
- Food & Drink
- At your hotel between Catane and Taormina - Please give us the full address and name of the Hotel/accommodation
- 07h45 at Bar Très Joli, Via Aldo Moro, 39, 95029 Viagrande CT
- More pick-up places: quote on demand
Mount Etna tours from Catania or Taormina area, that begins with convenient pickups at most hotels and resorts or to specifics easy meeting point where you will get on our 4x4 off-roads vehicles.