- Pick-up/Drop-off with off road vehicles
- Breakfast and Picnic lunch
- Cable Car tickets
- Alpine volcanologist guide - English
- Vehicles with NCC license
- VAT and insurance
- Free cancellation 48 hours before the visit
Tour Etna - Caldera Crosswalk
Visit Mount Etna wide Caldera - Valle del Bove
Among all the excursions you may choose on Etna, the Valle del Bove is a treasure of rare beauty and of geological significance, evidence of a radical change in the volcanic mechanisms of Etna.
This visit of Etna, about 10 km long, opens its scenery over the wide depression named "Valle del Bove", a vast area bounded by steep walls with a roughly horseshoe shape and open on the eastern flank of the Etna massif. The Caldera, the scientific name, is 5 km wide and 7 km long and with its extension covers almost the entire eastern side of the volcano. Its walls goes up to 1000 meters high.
Etna Tour highlights
- Walking on the Valle del Bove allows you to make a trekking experience on Etna that has very few equals
- First part by cable car, then an easy trek up to the hot crater of 2001 at over 2700 meters altitude
- A fun 900 meters downhill on volcanic ash and a trek over the enormous lava flow of 1991-93
- Visit a lava cave equipped with helmets and flashlights
- Etna guided tours in english, official alpine volcanologist guide
Hiking Etna - Valle del Bove
Pick-up is by 4x4 jeep at your hotel or at 07:45 at our meeting point in Viagrande. Before starting our Etna trip, we will have the pleasure to offer you an all-you-can-eat breakfast (coffee / cappuccino, fruit juice and pastries or granita and brioche). During the day is also planned the visit of a lava stone quarry, learning how lava stones are been used for centuries and the basics meaning of stratovolcano.
Driving towards the cable car station, on lunar landscape is surprising. The road built over the 1983 lava flows, the destructive passage of the lava flow with its many example left aside, destroyed houses, encircled woods areas will blow you away. Once reached the Rifugio Sapienza at the South side of Mount Etna, the trip starts by taking the cable car up to 2500 meters altitude. Your Etna excursion begin here with an easy walk reaching the hot crater of the 2001 eruption at over 2700 mt altitude.
After the visit of Etna's crater, the excursion continue with a fun downhill trek (900 meters drop) on volcanic ash soil, allowing the access to the ancient caldera Valle del Bove. We will then get across the huge lava flow of 1991-93 eruption full immersed into the Valle del Bove. The Etna tour will conclude with the visit of a lava tube, with caving equipment such as helmets and torches to ensure you a safe visit.
Tasting of honeys, wines and liqueurs in Zafferana Etnea
If time allows, the excursion will conclude with a free tasting of Etna's finest products, including honey, wine, liqueurs and much more at a local producer in Zafferana Etnea. This village of honey sits along the Etna Wine Route, which will lead you back to your accommodation where you will be dropped off at the conclusion of your tour.
Lunch on Mount Etna
If you have not been able to prearrange a picnic lunch, along the way we will make a stop in order to let you choose some of the traditional Sicilian products, you will be followed by our guide, who will advise you on the various local specialities.
Tour Etna - caldera crosswalk is a medium level excursion, in an active volcanic environment, we do only small groups of max 12 participants. Etna guided tours, with experienced qualified Mountain Leaders that speaks perfectly more than one language.
In winter all excursions may vary on timetable and schedule following the weather and snow covers conditions.
Tour Etna - Caldera Crosswalk Statistics
Trip to Etna that starts early in the morning with a small group; Etna guided tours, with experienced qualified volcanologist guide, for a full day immersion on Mount Etna wonders.
Etna Valle del Bove Trail
- Distance : approximately 10 km - 6,2 mi
- Ascent : 200 m
- Descent : 1300 m
- Time : about 5 hours
- Difficulty : Moderate
Lava flow channel
- Length : 20 m
- Visit time : about 15 minute
- Difficulty : easy
Essential Gear and Clothing
- Hiking boots
- Waterproof jacket (with hood) - all cars will be equipped of light raincoats jackets
- Waterproof over trousers
- Trekking poles - all cars will be equipped
- General trekking trousers
- Caving helmet - all cars will be equipped
- Gloves or mitts
- Spare layer e.g. fleece top
- Food & Drink
- At your hotel between Catane and Taormina - Please give us the full address and name of the Hotel/accommodation
- 07h45 at Bar Très Joli, Via Aldo Moro, 39, 95029 Viagrande CT
- More pick-up places: quote on demand
Mount Etna tours from Catania or Taormina area, that begins with convenient pickups at most hotels and resorts or to specifics easy meeting point where you will get on our 4x4 off-roads vehicles.