Trekking Etna West Volcano the hidden side of Etna
Explore Mount Etna on this exciting trek along the West side
The Etna West’s itinerary is accessible to everyone, thanks to the easy route we've created (8 km long trail), located in the heart of the Etna natural park. You will be accompanied by our English-speaking guide.
Etna excursion culminating at the craters formed during the eruption of 1974, place in whom you may enjoy the wonderful view opening towards the volcano summit.
During the excursion you will be able to observe the crater which spilled lava on Catania in 1669.
Etna guided tour on the west side, a hiking trail among the purest and least crowded part of the volcano.
Etna West excursion's highlights
- Guided tour with our English-speaking guide
- Etna tour through the hidden side of the volcano, unknown by ordinary tourists
- Easy trek of about 8 km accessible to all
- Take in the nearby scenery of Etna's widest forests
- Hike on De Fiore craters with a breathtaking view
- Exploration of a lava tube equipped with helmets and flashlights
When to book, how long before? We do not do mass tourism. So to make sure you have room, it's best to book quickly.
There are 2 options for visiting the west side of Mount Etna, in a small group (max 12 pax):
- 100€ per person: reach our meeting point in Giarre at 07:30 am with your own vehicle (there is a free public parking) and then ride in our luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long 2019) with dedicated driver. We offer breakfast and picnic. You will have breakfast like real Sicilians, in the best local pastry shop. Here we provide free equipment for hiking. Return around 4:00 pm.
- 120€ per person: includes pick-up/drop-off at your hotel (Catania-Taormina areas) in luxury vehicles (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long 2019) with dedicated driver. Breakfast and picnic is always offered. The necessary trekking equipment is included. Return around 4:30 pm.
Estimated planning of the Etna West excursion:
- Hike through the forest to reach the lava flow and the craters of 1974
- Ascent on the De Fiore craters
- Picnic break
- Return to the starting point (ring circuit)
- Visit to a tunnel
Tour to Mount Etna
Pick-up will be in our luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long 2019) with dedicated driver.
Before starting our adventure, we will have the pleasure to offer you an all-you-can-eat breakfast (coffee / cappuccino, fruit juice and pastries or granita and brioche). The guide will advise you on the choice of typical Sicilian foods.
Then the visit of a lava stone quarry is planned, the perfect place to understand how volcano Etna has become the highest active volcano in Europe. Here you will learn how lava stones are been used for centuries and the basics meaning of stratovolcano, Following the visit, we will drive towards the west side of volcano Etna.
Hike on Mount Etna west flank
An amazing trail deep in the natural reserve of Mount Etna, 8 km of hike along a trail accessible only on foot or mountain bike. It will be a walk full of contrasts, alternating green woody areas (here we find the biggest forest of Etna) and desertic old lava flows.
This trail leads us up to the craters dating back to 1974. The ascent on these eruptive mouths is easy and the descent in the volcanic sand very fun. From the top of the "De Fiore" craters you can admire the magnificent panorama of the large craters at low altitude (there are hundreds of craters on the slopes of Mount Etna) and the villages at the base of the volcano.
Picnic on the Etna volcano west slope
The picnic break will take place on the top of the craters, with a magnificent view over the Simeto Valley and the summit of Mount Etna on the other side.
Caving experience visiting a lava tube
After 4 km hike, you will visit one of the most interesting lava tubes of Mount Etna equipped with helmet and flashlight. It is a cave that probably dates back to an eruption occurred around 1550.
The lava tunnel on Etna is formed by a flow which has cooled on the surface, thus forming a solid crust. When the flow stops being fed, it empties and leaves a tunnel-shaped cavity.
In the cave there are three parallel cavities, about 30, 50 and 90 m long, where you could see two large lava rolls, among the largest known on Mount Etna. Lots of bats have been reported in this cave.
Trekking Etna West Volcano Statistics
Trip to Etna in a small group composed of a maximum of 12 participants. Etna guided tours with our English speaking guide, a full immersion on this magnificent visit of Mount Etna.
We organise daily excursions, for your comfort it is also possible to drive to our meeting point with your own vehicle and get on our luxury vehicle.
Our excursion starts early in the morning to allow you to fully appreciate the beauty and majesty of the volcano, thanks to carefully chosen itineraries far from the usual crowds.
Volcanoes are places of particular interest, either when they are inactive, with their rough and lunar landscape, and when they are in activity, with fiery scenarios that arouse, together, fear and curiosity.
Etna stand-up more than others, for its size and for its almost incessant activity, visible from land and sea, and for its long history that crossed with the ancient Mediterranean civilisations.
Etna West Trail
- Distance : approximately 8 kilometers - 5 miles
- Ascent : + 200 m
- Descent: - 200 m
- Walking time : about 4 hours
- Difficulty : easy
Lava Tube Etna West
- Length : overall expansion around 120 m
- Visit time : about 40 minute
- Difficulty : easy
Essential Gear and Clothing for Etna West
- Hiking boots (free loan on request in advance)
- We don't accept sneakers
- Waterproof jacket (with hood), hiking trousers, fleece
- Sun glasses
- Sun screen
- Food & Drink (included)
Pick-up/drop off and meeting point Etna West
- At your hotel between Catania and Taormina (thank you for giving me the exact address of the pick-up) with our luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long 2019) and dedicated driver. Return around 4:30 p.m.
- 07:30 a.m. in Giarre highway exit, from Etna Fuel gas station https://goo.gl/maps/URpKmqQDdd22 You arrive with your own vehicle, park it in the car park (there is free public parking) and get in our luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long 2019) with dedicated driver. to reach the gas station: take the motorway Catania - Messina, motorway exit GIARRE. Pass the toll, at the roundabout take the first exit on the right. After 300 m on the right side you find the gas distributor. Return around 4:00 p.m.
- Other pick-up places : quote on demand.
Conditions of sale
The weather and geodynamic conditions of Etna will be updated 48/24 hours before the excursion. If weather conditions are unfavorable the excursion will be postponed to another available day or refund.
You can cancel and be refund free of charge up to 1 week before the excursion for group excursions, 1 month in advance for private excursions.
For safety reasons, the guide may decide to modify the route, kilometers traveled, walking time and the maximum altitude reached. The guide will assess the sport level and the equipment of each participant.
People who will not be considered fit and well equipped (as indicated on the dedicated page of the Etna3340 site corresponding to the chosen excursion) will not be allowed to participate in the excursion (without possibility of refund).
The guide's maximum waiting time at the meeting point (at your hotel or at the meeting point in Giarre) is 10 minutes. If you arrive late, more than 10 minutes, you will lose the opportunity to participate in the excursion and to request a refund.