- Etna Jeep Tour
- VAT and insurance
- English speaking guide
- Vehicles with NCC license
- Free cancellation 1 week before the visit
- Pick-up/Drop-off between Catania and Taormina
Excursion Etna North, ideal hike with children
Excursion on the North side of Volcano Etna
Explore Mount Etna on this exciting off-road tour and trek: you will start early in the morning in a small group of 12 maximum with an English speaking guide for a full immersion on this magnificent volcano.
During this half-day visit to the highest active volcano in Europe you will experience sensational views, explore a lava tube and enjoy an off-road path.
Etna tour highlights
- An easy trail (3-4 km) through lunar landscapes and lush forests, leading to 8 linked craters named “Sartorius”
- Visit of a lava cave equipped with helmets and flashlights
- Tasting of Etna's best products such as honey, wines, liquors, and more
- Off-road path for a moment of unforgettable adventure
- Etna english guided tours (live guide)
An off-road tour of Mount Etna for a moment of unforgettable adventure
Our English-speaking guide will drive you through the volcanic villages describing the tradition of the Sicilian culture and what it means to live in a land of an active volcano, reaching the north flanks of Mount Etna on our 4x4 vehicles down deep into volcano Etna's natural Park.
Hiking on Mount Etna north flank
Your trip to Etna starts with an easy walk on the large eruptive system of multiples craters named "Sartorius", whose eruption is dated 1865. This excursion to Mount Etna will allow you to understand the different types of eruptions that can take place on volcanoes, as you undergo an easy trek of about 4 kilometres up and down this interesting fissure eruption site.
Afterwards, you will head to the Etna Nord Ski Resort, where you could have a break in a beautiful chalet at 1,700 meters above sea level. Here it will be possible to buy sandwiches, drinks, desserts, coffee.
Caving exploration of a lava tube
Then you will experience a deep exploration of a lava tube: created by a prehistoric lava flow, it is now enriched by the Etna birch forest which surrounds it. This cave was allegedly used for some time by bandits, whereas others say the tunnel was used to store snow during winter to then be used in the warmer seasons. Whatever the truth behind its common use during the past centuries was, it's a wonderful place to explore.
Tasting of honeys, wines and liqueurs in Zafferana Etnea
If time allows it, the excursion will end with a free tasting of Etna's finest products including honey, wine, liqueurs and much more at a local producer in Zafferana Etnea. This village of producers of honey sits along the Etna Wine Route, and contributes to the production of honey of Italy for the 30%.
In winter all excursions may vary on timetable and schedule following the weather and snow covers conditions.
Excursion North Volcano Etna Statistics
Etna North Trail
- Distance : approximately 4 kilometers - 2,5 miles
- Ascent : 100 m
- Time : about 2 hours
- Difficulty : easy
- Length : 30 m
- Visit time : about 20 minute
- Difficulty : easy
Essential Gear and Clothing
- Hiking boots
- Waterproof jacket (with hood) - all cars will be equipped of light raincoats jackets
- Waterproof over trousers
- Trekking poles - all cars will be equipped
- General trekking trousers
- Caving helmet - all cars will be equipped
- Gloves or mitts
- Spare layer e.g. fleece top
- Food & Drink
- At your hotel between Catane and Taormina - Please give us the full address and name of the Hotel/accommodation
- 08h00 am at Giarre ESSO gas station - motorway exit named "Giarre". Take the motorway Catania - Messina, exit named GIARRE. Pass the toll, at the roundabout take the first exit on the right. After 300 m on the right side you find the ESSO gas station
- Others pick-up places: quote on demand
We organise daily excursions, for your comfort it is also possible to drive to our meeting point with your own vehicle and get on our 4×4 offroad vehicle. We do only make small groups of 12 partecipants at the time, all followed by expert multilanguage mountain leaders. Our excursion starts early in the morning to allow you to fully appreciate the beauty and majesty of the volcano, thanks to carefully chosen itineraries far from the usual crowds.
Mount Etna tours from Catania or Taormina area, that begins with convenient pickups at most hotels and resorts or to specifics easy meeting point where you will get on our 4x4 off-roads vehicles.
Volcanoes are places of particular interest, either when they are inactive, with their rough and lunar landscape, and when they are in activity, with fiery scenarios that arouse, together, fear and curiosity. Etna stand-up more than others, for its size and for its almost incessant activity, visible from land and sea, and for its long history that crossed with the ancient Mediterranean civilisations.