Excursion North Volcano Etna off road and walk's 8 craters
Excursion North Volcano Etna off road and walk 8 linked craters
Explore Mount Etna on this exciting off-road tour and trek. On this half-day visit to the highest active volcano in Europe, you will experience sensational views, explore a lava tube and enjoy an off-road path, exploring the region. Trip to Etna that start early in the morning in a small group of 12 participants maximum. Etna guided tours in English for a full immersion on this magnificent volcano.
Etna tour highlights
- An easy trail (3-4 km) through lunar landscapes and lush forests, leading to 8 linked craters named “Sartorius”
- Visit of a lava cave equipped with helmets and flashlights, a cave named “The Thieves Cave” full of myths and legends
- Take in the nearby scenery of birch forests
- Taste Etna's best products including honey, wines, liquors, and more
- Etna guided tours in english (live guide)
An off-road tour of Mount Etna for a moment of unforgettable adventure
Our english speaking guide will drive through the volcanic villages describing the tradition of the Sicilian culture, the effect of an active volcano in daily life reaching the north flanks of Mount Etna on our 4x4 vehicle through mixed off-road and road routes down deep into volcano Etna's natural Park.
Hiking on Mount Etna north flank
Your trip to Etna strats with an easy walk on the large eruptive system of multiples craters named "Sartorius", whose eruption is dated 1865. This excursion to Mount Etna will allow you to understand the different types of eruptions that can take place on volcanoes, as you undergo an easy trek of about 4 kilometers up and down this interesting fissure eruption site.
Afterwards, you will head to the Etna Nord Ski Resort, where you could have a break in a beautiful chalet at 1.900 meters above sea level. Here it's possible to buy sandwiches, drinks, desserts, coffee.
Caving exploration of a lava tube
Then you will experience a cave exploration of a lava tube. Created by a prehistoric lava flow, it is now enriched by the Etna birch forest which surrounds it. This cave was allegedly used for some time by bandits, whereas others say the tunnel was used to store snow during winter to then be used in the warmer seasons. Whatever the truth behind its common use during the past centuries, it's a wonderful place to explore with caving equipment such as helmets and torches to ensure you a safe visit.
Tasting of honeys, wines and liqueurs in Zafferana Etnea
If time allows it, the excursion will conclude with a free tasting of Etna's finest products including honey, wine, liqueurs and much more at a local producer in Zafferana Etnea. This village of producers of honey sits along the Etna Wine Route, which will lead you back to your accommodation where you will be dropped off at the conclusion of your tour.
In winter all excursions may vary on timetable and schedule following the weather and snow covers conditions.
Excursion North Volcano Etna Statistics
Etna North Trail
- Distance : approximately 4 kilometers - 2,5 miles
- Ascent : 100 m
- Time : about 2 hours
- Difficulty : easy
- Length : 30 m
- Visit time : about 20 minute
- Difficulty : easy
Essential Gear and Clothing
- Hiking boots
- Waterproof jacket (with hood) - all cars will be equipped of light raincoats jackets
- Waterproof over trousers
- Trekking poles - all cars will be equipped
- General trekking trousers
- Caving helmet - all cars will be equipped
- Gloves or mitts
- Spare layer e.g. fleece top
- Food & Drink
- At your hotel between Catane and Taormina - Please give us the full address and name of the Hotel/accommodation
- 08h00 am at Giarre ESSO gas station - motorway exit named "Giarre". Take the motorway Catania - Messina, exit named GIARRE. Pass the toll, at the roundabout take the first exit on the right. After 300 m on the right side you find the ESSO gas station
- Others pick-up places: quote on demand
We organise daily excursions, for your comfort it is also possible to drive to our meeting point with your own vehicle and get on our 4×4 offroad vehicle. We do only make small groups of 12 partecipants at the time, all followed by expert multilanguage mountain leaders. Our excursion starts early in the morning to allow you to fully appreciate the beauty and majesty of the volcano, thanks to carefully chosen itineraries far from the usual crowds.
Mount Etna tours from Catania or Taormina area, that begins with convenient pickups at most hotels and resorts or to specifics easy meeting point where you will get on our 4x4 off-roads vehicles.
Volcanoes are places of particular interest, either when they are inactive, with their rough and lunar landscape, and when they are in activity, with fiery scenarios that arouse, together, fear and curiosity. Etna stand-up more than others, for its size and for its almost incessant activity, visible from land and sea, and for its long history that crossed with the ancient Mediterranean civilisations.