- Pick-up/Drop-off with our luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long) with dedicated driver
- Private English speaking guide
- Free loan of equipment (hiking boots, poles, helmets, backpacks and k-ways)
- Free tasting of local products
- Free cancellation 1 month before the visit
- VAT and insurance
Etna Sunset tour
Enjoy an unforgettable Etna tour during sunset with stunning views over the summit craters. The twilight hike takes place on the lunar landscapes of the eastern and southern slopes of the Etna volcano.
In certain climatic conditions, it is possible to see the shadow of the volcano on the sea. A magical half-day experience.
Etna Sunset Tour's highlights
- We only do private visits
- Taste Etna's best products including honey, wines, liquors, and more
- View of the lava flow of 1991-1993
- Visit a lava tube with helmets and flashlights
- Walk along a button system craters (a system called “Bottoniera”)
- Optional dinner at the restaurant: 30€/p.p.
When do you need to book, how long before? We do not do mass tourism. So, to make sure you have room, it is better to book as quick as possible.
There are 2 options
- Reach our meeting point in Giarre at 2:30 p.m. https://goo.gl/maps/URpKmqQDdd22 with your own vehicle. Park it (there is free public parking) and get in our luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long) with dedicated driver. Return around 8:30 pm.
- Pick-up/drop-off at your hotel (between Catania and Taormina) with our luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long) and dedicated driver. Return around 9:00 pm.
- Pick-up at your hotel or at meeting point
- View of the lava flow of 1991-1993
- Tasting of local products
- Visit to a lava tunnel
- Hike on the Silvestri craters
- If you are athletic, you can reach the southern ridge of Valle del Bove
- Optional: dinner at the restaurant at altitude
Hiking on Mount Etna at sunset
After picking you up, we will cross the villages on the slopes of the active volcano in order to reach the southern slope. The hiking route runs along the southern side of Etna starting from the Rifugio Sapienza area. We will hike on the Silvestri craters and on the 2001 lava flow. The hiking route plans to climb to the top of the largest SIlvestri crater.
Arriving at the summit of the largest crater (2000 meters above sea level), you can admire the fascinating colors of the sun disappearing behind the volcano and witness the possible eruptive activity (if this is present on the day of your visit to Sicily).
Tasting of honeys, wines and liqueurs in Zafferana Etnea
The tour begins in Zafferana Etnea, the beekeepers' village on the Etna wine route. Here you will see the longest recent lava flow: 18 months of eruption between 1991 and 1993. In Zafferana you will also have tasting of honeys, wines, liqueurs and more at a local farm shop. It is a free tasting, with no obligation to purchase.
Etna Lava Cave
During the sunset tour you will be guided through the exploration of a small lava tube, equipped with helmet and flashlight. A lava tube is a natural cave formed by flowing lava which moves beneath the hardened surface of a lava flow.
Dinner on Mount Etna
Upon request, we can organize dinner in a charming restaurant at the ski resort. The menu is rich in flavours and essences of the Sicilian tradition: starters, a pasta dish made with traditional Sicilian recipes or pizza, dessert, coffee, water, Etna DOC wine. Please let us know in advance if you need a vegetarian menu, or if you have any kind of allergies or food intolerances.
Mount Etna Sunset visit - Statistics
This Etna excursion is an easy-going trail, which guarantees you half a day on Mount Etna. The route is chosen with care and above all away from the crowds.
Etna Sunset Trail
- Distance : approximately 4 km
- Maximum altitude: 2000 mt
- Elevation gain : 100 mt
- Elevation loss: 100 mt
- Time : about 1h30'
- Difficulty : easy
Essential Gear and Clothing for Etna Sunset
- Hiking boots (free loan on request in advance)
- Trekking trousers
- Waterproof jacket (free loan on request in advance)
- Backpack (free loan)
Pick-up / drop-off Etna Sunset
- At your hotel between Catania and Taormina (please provide us with your exact pick-up address) with our luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long) and certified driver. Return around 9:00 p.m.
- At 2:30 p.m. in Giarre highway exit, from Etna Fuel gasstation https://goo.gl/maps/URpKmqQDdd22. You arrive with your own vehicle, park it (there is free public parking) and get in our luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long) with dedicated driver.
To reach the gas station Etna Fuel: take the motorway Catania - Messina, motorway exit GIARRE. Pass the toll, at the roundabout take the first exit on the right. After 300 m on the right side you find the gas station. Return about 8:30 p.m.
- Other pick-up places: quote on demand.
Conditions of sale
The weather and geodynamic conditions of Etna will be updated 24 hours before the excursion. If the weather conditions are unfavorable the excursion will be postponed to another available day or fully reimbursed (in case of advance payment).
You can cancel and be reimbursed free of charge up to 1 month in advance. At the time of departure and/or during the excursion, for safety reasons, the guide may decide to change the route, the kilometers traveled, the walking time and the maximum altitude reached.