Visiting Mt Etna during sunset
Etna Sunset tour
Enjoy an unforgettable Etna tour during sunset with stunning views over the summit craters and Valle del Bove. Explore Etna volcanic craters, a lava cave, and taste delicious local products from an organic farm on this Etna tour celebrating the tallest active volcano in Italy.
Etna Sunset Tour's highlights
- Etna excursion on an easy-going trail, adaptable from 4 to 6 km
- Walk along a button system craters (a system called “Bottoniera”)
- Visit a lava tube with helmets and flashlights
- Reach Valle del Bove, from where you could have an astonishing view of the summit craters
- Taste Etna's best products including honey, wines, liquors, and more
- Etna guided tour in English (live guide)
Tasting of honeys, wines and liqueurs in Zafferana Etnea
The tour begins in Zafferana, Italy's prime beekeepers, with a free tasting of honeys, wines, liqueurs and more at a local farm shop.
Etna Lava Cave
During the sunset tour you will be guided through the exploration of a small lava tube, equipped with helmet and flashlight. A lava tube is a natural cave formed by flowing lava which moves beneath the hardened surface of a lava flow.
Hiking on Mount Etna at sunset
This route runs along the southern side of Etna starting from the Rifugio Sapienza area. It begins in the middle of a pine forest, on a paved path made of lava stones. This is the most challenging part of the track, with a slope that exceeds 10% in some sections.
After a few hundred meters, you will reach a plateau where the endemic vegetation takes over. From here, the rest of the trail is mainly flat and easy to stroll. Along the way you can enjoy a beautiful view of Catania and the Ionian Sea.
Going along the trail, you will reach the edges of Valle del Bove from which you could admire the most impressive last lava flows. It’s also likely to meet some animal species including rabbits, foxes and numerous birds of prey like buzzards and kestrels.
Valle del Bove is one of the most beautiful places to enjoy Mount Etna, a natural spectacle of extraordinary beauty that leaves everyone who has seen it astonished.
Dinner on Mount Etna
On request, we can organize dinner in a charming restaurant at the ski resort. The menu is rich in flavours and essences of the Sicilian tradition: starters, a pasta dish made with traditional Sicilian recipes, dessert, coffee, water, Etna DOC wine.
Please let us know in advance if you need a vegetarian menu, or if you have any kind of allergies or food intolerances.
In winter all excursions may vary on timetable and schedule following the weather and snow covers conditions.
Mount Etna Sunset visit - Statistics
Etna Sunset Trail
- Distance : approximately 4 to 6 km - 2.5 to 3.8 mi
- Ascent : 300 m - 980 ft
- Time : about 5 hours
- Difficulty : easy to moderate
Essential Gear and Clothing
- Hiking boots
- Waterproof jacket (with hood) - all cars will be equipped of light raincoats jackets
- Trekking poles - all cars will be equipped
- General trekking trousers
- Caving helmet - all cars will be equipped
- Gloves or mitts
- Spare layer e.g. fleece top
- At your hotel between Catane and Taormina - Please give us the full address and name of the Hotel/accommodation
- 07h45 at Bar Très Joli, Via Aldo Moro, 39, 95029 Viagrande CT
- More pick-up places: quote on demand
Mount Etna tours from Catania or Taormina area, that begins with convenient pickups at most hotels and resorts or to specifics easy meeting point where you will get on our 4x4 off-roads vehicles.
Etna Excursions on a small group, max 12 participants; Etna guided tours, with experienced qualified Mountain Leaders that speaks perfectly more than one language.