Etna tour following the long Altomontana track
On the volcano there is a beautiful hiking trail of about 37 km that goes around Mount Etna. The trail starts on the south side to reach the north side, passing by the magnificent west side.
The average altitude is 1700 meters (minimum 1400, maximum 2000 meters altitude). The itinerary takes place in zone A of Etna Park. The path is easy to follow, it is only accessible on foot or by mountain bike. You cross the western slope, mysterious and beautiful.
On this side of the volcano there is the largest forest of Etna and also many craters, tunnels and lava flows. As for example the largest lava flow of Etna from 1614-1624 (10 years of eruption).
Highlights of the Altomontana trail
- Hike from South to North
- Visit of the western slope
- Path on foot in 2 days or 1 day by mountain bike
When to book, how long before? We do not do mass tourism. So to make sure you have room, it's best to book quickly.
There are 2 options to do the Altomontana trail
- To accompany you throughout the trail, our vulcanologist guide will explain you everything about Etna
- To give you a GPS and a map, so you can hike yourself
- Departure from the southern slope
- Crossing the western slope
- Night in a refuge located on the trail or in a tent
- Arrival at the North slope
2 days hiking on the volcano Etna
Due to its length, it is possible to hike in 2 days. Accommodation is possible in one of the shelters located on the course or in a tent. To do this trekking, you must prepare everything you need to live in total autonomy for 2 days. With MTB, it is possible to do it in 1 day.
In parallel with the classic ascent to the summit, the hike in the Pista Altomontana will remain engraved in the memory of the hikers who traverse it. It is a unique experience in contact with an extraordinary environment, offering an incredible diversity of landscapes.
The views are very impressive, silence reigns along this path, being very far from inhabited centers and from the flow of tourists. With some deviations of the way it is possible to visit interesting sites. Near the path there are several lava tunnels, a botanical garden and several old craters. #Etna #Sicile #Etna3340
How to make the Etna hike on the Altomontana Trail
This excursion is not accessible to cariopaths, asthmatics and people suffering from joint problems. To participate, you must be in perfect physical condition and be used to hiking on difficult terrain at high altitude. The track should only be approached by experienced, athletic and well-equipped people.
- Distance. 37 KM
- Dificulty: challenging
- Maximum altitude: 2000 mt above sea level
- Sleeping bags
- Floor mats
- Food and water for 2 days.
- Hiking shoes
- Trekking poles
We can provide all the necessary equipment for the 2 days of trekking.
There are 2 options for transport in a luxury VTC vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long) with a dedicated driver
- If you have a vehicle: We will pick you up at your arrival on the North side to bring you back to the starting point where you left your car
- If you don't have a vehicle: We will pick you up at your hotel to take you to the starting point of the excursion, then we will pick you up on your arrival to bring you back to the hotel
Conditions of sale
Weather and geodynamic conditions of Etna will be updated 48/24 hours before the excursion. If the weather conditions are unfavorable the excursion will be postponed to another day available or reimbursed (in case of advance payment).
You can cancel and be reimbursed free of charge up to 1 month in advance. At the time of departure and / or during the excursion, for safety reasons, the guide may decide to modify the route, the kilometers traveled, the walking time and the maximum altitude reached.