It is a unique experience, silence reigns
The views are impressive, silence reigns, as this path is far away from population centers and tourist flows.
Here is how to hike from south to north, crossing the western slope, in an extraordinary volcanic environment.
- Excursion in a volcanic environment rich in colors and contrasting views.
- You will pass through large forests, large lava flows and see Etna's largest lateral craters.
- We can provide you with all the necessary equipment for the 2-day trek: tent, sleeping bag, ground mat, rucksack, poles, helmet, torch, k-way.
- Walking distance: 37 km.
- Difficulty: difficult.
- Maximum altitude: 2000 m.
- If you have your own car: leave it at the end of the tour, our driver will pick you up and take you to the start of the tour (cheapest solution).
- If you do not have a car, our driver will pick you up at your hotel and take you to the starting point of the tour. At the end of the tour, the driver will take you back to the hotel.
- If you do not want to leave your car on the volcano, our driver will pick you up at the hotel and take you to the starting point of the tour. At the end of the tour, the driver will take you back to the hotel.
Great Etna trek. The trail: Pista Altomontana
On the volcano there is a beautiful hiking trail of about 37 km that goes around Etna. The trail runs from the south to the north side, passing through the beautiful western slope. The average altitude is 1700 meters (minimum 1400, maximum 2000). The route takes place in zone A of the Etna Park. The path is easy to walk and is only accessible on foot or by mountain bike. You cross the mysterious and beautiful western slope. On this side of the volcano is Etna's largest forest and also many craters, lava tunnels and lava flows. For example, Etna's largest lava flow from 1614-1624 (10 years of eruption), or the more recent 1974 eruption (De Fiore craters).
2 days of hiking on Etna volcano
Due to its length, it is possible to do the hike in 2 days. It is possible to stay in one of the refuges along the route or in a tent. To do this trek, you must prepare everything you need to live independently for 2 days. With a mountain bike, it is possible to do it in one day. In addition to the classic ascent to the summit, the hike along the Pista Altomontana will remain etched in the memory of hikers who ride it. It is a unique experience in contact with an extraordinary environment that offers an incredible diversity of volcanic landscapes.
The views are impressive and silence reigns, as this path is far from inhabited centers and tourist flows. With a few detours, it is possible to visit interesting sites. Near the main trail, there are several lava tunnels, a botanical garden and several ancient craters.
How to do the great Etna hike on the Altomontana Trail
This tour is not accessible to heart patients, asthmatics and people with joint problems. To participate, you must be in perfect physical condition and be used to walking on difficult terrain at high altitude. The Altomontana trail should only be tackled by experienced, sporty and well-equipped people.