- Pick-up/Drop-off in luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long) with dedicated driver
- English speaking guide
- Free loan of equipment: hiking shoes, hiking poles, backpack, helmet, k-way
- Cable Car/Unimog tickets without queuing at the ticket counter
- Visit to the craters at 2920 mt altitude and to a lava tunnel
- Wine tasting, vineyard tour and lunch
- Free cancellation 1 week before the visit
- VAT and insurance
Etna wine trip
A full day tour that combines a fascinating experience to discover the volcano and the tasting of Etna DOC wines.
This Etna guided tour goes up to 2920 meters above the sea level, right at the base of the main active craters in the summit area of Mount Etna, and it ends with a tasting experience in a beautiful winery: you couldn’t ask for more.
During this excursion you will discover the summit area of Mount Etna with its lunar landscape as wee as the best Sicilian wines. You will taste the aromas and flavors of our traditional cuisine.
You will have lunch with Etna DOC wines and dishes of the typical Sicilian cuisine. Your adventure with our English-speaking guide will result in a full immersion into our magnificent Mount Etna.
Etna wine trip highlights
- Private visit
- Ascent by cable car + Unimog 4x4 up to an altitude of 2920 meters
- Visit to the craters from 2002-2003 still partly hot
- Visit to a small lava tunnel
- Visit to a vineyard on the volcano
- Lunch with tasting of Etna wines and Sicilian gastronomy
When do you need to book, how long before ? We do not do mass tourism. So, to make sure you find a place, it is better to book as soon as possible.
There are 2 options to enjoy the Etna with wine tasting
- Reach our meeting point in Giarre at 07:30 a.m. with your own vehicle (there is a free public parking) and then ride in our luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long) with certified driver. Breakfast is included in the price. You will have breakfast like real Sicilians, in the best local pastry shop. Here we will also provide you with free hiking- equipment. Return around 3:00 pm.
- Pick-up/drop-off at your hotel (Catania-Taormina areas) in luxury vehicles (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long) with certified driver. Breakfast is always included. The necessary trekking equipment is included. Return around 3:30 pm.
- Pick-up at your hotel hotel or meeting point
- The cable car opens at 9:00 a.m., we take the first cabins, there are about 15 minutes of climb from 2000 to 2500 meters above sea level
- To go to 2900 meters above sea level we use the large Unimog 4x4, about 20 minutes trip
- Easy hike on the craters of the 2002-2003 eruption at an altitude of 2920 meters
- Return to 1900 meters altitude by Unimog 4x4 + cable car
- Visit to a small lava tunnel
- Visit to the vineyards and cellars
- Wine tasting
- Lunch in a wine estate on Mount Etna
Etna Wine tour - itinerary
Pick-up is at your hotel, or at our meeting point in Giarre. To start off on the right foot, we will be happy to offer you breakfast.
We will drive you towards the south side of Mount Etna up to the ski resort from where, by the use of cable car and Unimog 4x4 buses, we will reach 2900 mt of altitude.
Our adventure begins here, very close to the summit with an enjoyable group walk with an Alpine Volcanologist Guide who will lead us around the crater edge of the eruption dated 2002-2003 and next to a recent lava flow (eruption of 2017).
Once back at the ski station, we will end the visit of Mount Etna with a caving experience into a lava tube, equipped with helmet and flashlights.
The tour will continue by visiting one of the best wineries right on the slopes of Etna, where you can walk through the vineyard, understand the production flows and finally tasting the Etna DOC wines and of course other Sicilian specialties and wonderful recipes.
Etna is covered with vineyard where a unique wine with strong notes is produced. This wine owes its taste in part to the volcano, because here the vine takes root directly in the lava.
The volcanic soil of the region has created favorable conditions to the appearance of a variety of grapes with specific organoleptic properties. The Etna visit and Wine tasting is a gourmet walk made of a discovery trail of the volcano and its typical products.
You will see beautiful places, such as the Valle del Bove (theater of recent eruptions) and partly warm craters. The Etna and Wine tour is available all year round.
To go on this hike, you have to be perfectly healthy, sporty and have no physical problems. Climbing is prohibited for pregnant women, asthmatics and people with breathing, cardiac and joint problems.
If it is not possible to reach the base of the summit area, for meteorological or geodynamic reasons (eruptions, explosions, lava flows, volcanic alerts, etc.), the maximum authorized safety altitude will be reached.
This visit takes place on the wine route of the Etna volcano in Sicily, to know the winegrowers, the best wine-lables and taste the Italian wines.
We will introduce you to the tasting of volcano wines, with a visit to its territory, accompanied by our English-speaking guide. The rich volcanic soil is ideal for Sicilian vineyards and wine production.
With the local climate, warm and sunny, the vines are in a natural context which is conducive to the production of exceptional wines, with a piercing flavor.
For white wine the indigenous grape varieties are Caricante and Cataratto, the red wine is made with Nerello Mascalese and Nerello Cappuccio, are all endemic grape varieties.
Enjoy each sip of the Etna DOC wines, which are produced from the grape variety of Nerello Mascalese, result of our fertile volcanic soil.
Another interesting grape variety grown in Sicily is Nero d Avola. In the south of Sicily you have to taste the Cerasuolo di Vittoria, it is a Sicilian wine which takes its name from the city of Vittoria.
In Sicily, in addition to the typical Sicilian indigenous grape varieties, there are also the Merlot, Chardonnay, Pinots, Sauvignon Blanc, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon grape varieties.
On the island of Pantelleria there is a sweet wine, Passito di Pantelleria, the grape variety is Zibibbo (also called Muscat of Alexandria).
Information about the Etna Tour with wine tasting
Walking time: about 40 minutes
Walking distance: 1-2 km
Maximum altitude: 2920 meters
Hike on the craters of the 2002-2003 eruption
Visit to a lava tunnel
Essential Equippement and Clothing
Hiking boots (free loan on request in advance)
Trekking trousers, fleece, waterproof jacket (free loan on request in advance)
Pick-up/drop-off for Etna, food & wine
- ca 07h30 am: at your hotel between Catania and Taormina (please provide us with the exact pick-up address) with our luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long) and dedicated driver. Return around 3:30 p.m.
- 07h30 am: pick up at the Giarre highway exit, from Etna Fuel gas station https://goo.gl/maps/URpKmqQDdd22. You arrive with your own vehicle, park it in the car park (there is free public parking) and get in our luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long) with certified driver. To reach the gas station: take the motorway Catania - Messina, motorway exit GIARRE. Pass the toll, at the roundabout take the first exit on the right. After 300 mt on the right side you find the gas station.
- Other pick-up places upon request.
Conditions of sale
The weather and geodynamic conditions of Etna will be updated 24 hours before the excursion. If the weather conditions are unfavorable, the excursion will be postponed to another available day or the amount paied will be fully reimbursed.
You can cancel the tour and be reimbursed free of charge up to 1 month before the excursion. At the time of departure and/or during the excursion, for safety reasons, the guide may decide to change the route, the kilometers traveled, the walking time and the maximum altitude reached.
Contact us for more information. It is possible to organize a private or tailor-made visit: ask for a quote. We will be delighted to meet you. Our team is at your disposal and supports you to guarantee you an unforgettable experience.