- Hiking boots
- Electric bike
- Alpine volcanologist guide
Summit Etna with electric bike
Mount Etna summit with electric bike
This tour will be available from June 2020. We provide the electric bike, the helmet and the hiking boots to ride up to the summit active craters.
Our e-bike is not a bike that accelerates and rides alone, you have to pedal! The descent is also tiring. If you have no Bike experience, don't do this excursion.
Our guide will follow you all along the route of 20 km long (round trip), to reach the summit of Etna.
Electric bike tour highlights:
- Guided tour in English with our guide
- 1200 mt elevation gain and loss by electric mountain bike and partly on foot.
- Hike to the summit active craters at 3300 meters above sea level
- Tour of the 4 large summit active craters
- View of Valle del Bove
When to book, how long before ? We do not do mass tourism. So, to make sure you have room, it is better to book quickly.
There are 3 options to go to the top of Etna with electric bike, in small groups (minimum 4, max 9 pax):
- join us at the Monte Conca Restaurant (Etna North) at 1900 meters altitude (there is a pay parking). You will be accompanied by our guide from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 pm approximately. Free loan of hiking shoes, helmet, walking sticks, backpack and k-way. For the rest, you must already be equipped with adequate clothing, a packed lunch and water. There is also the possibility to buy food and to rent hot jackets on site.
- Reach our meeting point in Giarre at 07:00 a.m. with your own vehicle (there is a free public parking) and then ride in our luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long 2019) with dedicated driver. We offer breakfast and picnic. You will have breakfast like real Sicilians, in the best local pastry shop. Here we provide free equipment for hiking. Return around 5:00 pm.
- Pick-up/drop-off at your hotel (Catania-Taormina areas) in luxury vehicles (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long 2019) with dedicated driver. Breakfast and picnic is always offered. The necessary trekking equipment is included. Return around 5:30 pm.
Estimated planning of the ascent to Etna Summit with electric bike
- The electric mountain bike excursion starts at 1900 meters above sea level.
- By pedaling you reach an altitude of 3000 meters.
- Ascent on foot towards the summit craters.
- Hike on the 4 large active craters.
- 200 mt downhill on foot.
- Downhill mountain biking up to 1900 mt.
- View of Valle del Bove.
- Pic-nic break.
- Return to Monte Conca around 4:00 p.m.
The electric mountain bike tour starts at an altitude of 1900 meters. By pedaling more easily with our electric bikes, on a volcanic dirt track, you pass by recent craters up to 3000 meters above sea level.
Once at the base of the active craters, you will leave the bikes and hike towards the summit (around 40 minutes of hiking).
The tour foresees the visit of the top area of Etna caratterised by 4 active craters. You will follow a trail that will be adapted to the weather and geodynamic conditions of the volcano.
Once back to the bikes, the downhill starts following a panoramic route to the "Valle del Bove", a large horseshoe-shaped caldera into which most lava flows. The view is breathtaking in these volcanic places.
A picnic break is planned during the day, the descent continues to the starting point, at 1900. The tour ends around 4:00 p.m.
In the summit area
There are currently 4 main active craters. You will tour the summit craters according to the conditions of volcanic activity, the weather and sulfuric gas emissions.
Lunch in the Etna summit area
The pic-nic will be consumed in the summit area. If you come directly to Monte Conca the meal is not included, you must be ready and equipped for the ascent at 09:00 a.m.
At the top of Mount Etna there are hot and irritating sulfuric gases, the terrain is hilly.
The excursion takes place at high altitude, in an active volcanic zone and at varying altitudes
The ascent to the top of the volcano is forbidden to asthmatics and to people suffering from respiratory, cardiac and joint problems.
To hike in the summit area you have to be in perfect health, sporty, have no physical problems, have mountain biking experience and be used to hiking on difficult terrain at high altitudes.
The visit to the summit is related to the geodynamic activity of the volcano as eruptions, explosions, lava flows, volcanic alerts, etc.
These events may alter the original schedule of the visit, at that point the tour will be carried out to the maximum altitude authorized by the regulation.
Technical data of the rise of Etna in e-bike (groups from 4 to max 9 participants):
- Distance: 20 km
- Elevation gain&loss : 1200 mt on bike and 200 mt on foot
- Difficulty: challenging, you need to have mountain bike and hiking experience
- Max. altitude: 3300 mt
Essential Gear and Clothing
- High-top hiking boots (free loan on request in advance)
- We do not accept tennis shoes or sneakers
- High socks
- Hiking pants, a fleece and a warm waterproof windbreaker jacket with hood (possible jacket rental on site)
- Scarf or Bandana to cover the mouth and filter sulfuric gases and dust
- Solar cream
- Snack and water (included only with pick-up from your hotel or Giarre meeting point)
E-bike, helmet, hiking boots and guide included.
Pick-up / drop off, Etna Summit with electric bike meeting point
- At your hotel between Catania and Taormina (please give us the exact address of the pick-up), you will be picked up with our luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long 2019) with dedicated driver. Return around 5:30 p.m
- 07:00 a.m. Giarre motorway exit, departure from Etna Fuel gas station. https://goo.gl/maps/URpKmqQDdd22 You arrive with your own vehicle, park it in the car park (there is free public parking) and get into our luxury vehicle (Mercedes GL or V-Class Extra Long 2019) with dedicated driver. To reach the gas station: Take the Catania - Messina motorway, GIARRE motorway exit. Pass the toll, at the roundabout take the first exit on the right. After 300 mt on the right side you find the gas station. Return around 5:00 p.m.
- 9:00 a.m. Monte Conca Restaurant (Etna North), Piano Provenzana, Etna Nord, 95015 Linguaglossa CT (there is a pay parking). Return around 4:00 p.m. https://www.ristorantemonteconca.com/#
- Other pick-up places : a quote will be made up on request.
Conditions of sale
The weather and geodynamic conditions of Etna will be updated 48/24 hours before the excursion.
If weather conditions are unfavorable the excursion will be postponed to another available day or refund (in case of advance payment).
You can cancel and be refund free of charge up to 1 week before the excursion for group excursions, 1 month in advance for private excursions.
If it is not possible to reach the summit area due to meteorological or geodynamic reasons (eruptions, explosions, lava flows, volcanic alerts, etc.), the maximum authorized safety altitude will be reached.
For safety reasons, the guide may decide to modify the route, kilometers traveled, walking time and the maximum altitude reached.
The guide will assess the sport level and the equipment of each participant.
People who will not be considered fit and well equipped (as indicated on the dedicated page of the Etna3340 site corresponding to the chosen excursion) will not be allowed to participate in the excursion (without possibility of refund).
The guide's maximum waiting time at the meeting point (at Monte Conca, at your hotel or at the meeting point in Giarre) is 10 minutes.
If you arrive late, more than 10 minutes, you will lose the opportunity to participate in the excursion and to request a refund.